Articles and Resources
- Guide for Selecting Anti-Bias Children’s Books: A resource created by social justice books to help educators and childcare providers select books that are culturally aware and teach children to be anti-bias and anti-racist.
- How to Create a Knockout Summer Literacy Program: A resource for educators and providers wanted to encourage children to read over the summer. It discusses ways to give kids access to books and how to incentivize them to read.
- 13 Summer Reading Programs Where Kids can Earn Free Books & More: A list of summer reading programs available for kids to earn prizes from various national organizations.
- Ideas for Integrating Reading In Camp: 25 ideas for summer camp providers about how to integrate literacy and reading into their programs
- Design a Summer Reading Camp: Ideas and Tools for improving the Recruitment and Retention of Students for Summer Programming: A guide for creating and implementing a summer reading camp for students. Gives information about recruiting students and incentivizes them to read.
- Reading is Fundamental: Literacy Central: A list of resources including lesson plans, videos and a digital library to infuse literacy into your programming.
- Children will need summer tutors to make up for pandemic loss: An article that details the importance of summer programs in making up for the lost learning during COVID-19, especially in reading.
- Summer Camp Readers 2021 Resources: A google drive with resources of how to integrate reading into summer camp.
- Ways to Increase Digital Literacy: This resources provides information on how to help kids learn digital literacy skills in order to be competent in a modern world.
- How Social Media Affects Teenagers: explains the mental health effects of social media on children.
- Don’t teach digital citizenship-embed it!: ways to demonstrate positive internet behavior in your classroom or program.
- Common Sense Digital Education: digital citizenship curriculum for all ages.
Storytimes in St. Louis
- Barnes and Noble
- EyeSee Me
- Kirkwood Public Library
- Science Center Story Time
- Missouri History Museum Storytelling
- St. Louis Art Museum
- Story Time in the Commons
- Sensory Story Times St. Louis Public Library
- Ready by 21: We prioritize ensuring children have access to health care, possess social emotional skills, are Kindergarten ready, involved in their community and are ready to start work.
- Ready Readers: Ready Readers expands literacy for young children in low-income communities through high-quality books, strong relationships, and literacy related experiences.
- TurnThePageSTL: Turn the Page STL is St. Louis’ city-county wide literacy initiative dedicated to increasing the number of children that are reading at or above grade level by the end of third grade.
- St. Louis Book Fair: Our mission is threefold: to empower youth with literacy, to empower the community through ongoing support of local charities, and to empower our volunteers through experiences that create lasting memories.
- St. Louis Black Authors: St. Louis Black Authors of Children’s Literature is committed to fostering awareness about the importance of early literacy by creating innovative opportunities for all kids to have access to Black children’s literature.
- St. Louis County Library
- St. Louis City Library